French Garlic Chicken
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 Kangaroo Island free range chook
- 1 medium onion peeled and quartered
- 20 cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half
- handful of herbs sage, parsley and tarragon
- 125g [COLD] butter cut into small cubes
- 125g melted butter
- 250ml white wine
- 250ml water
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- Sit the chook breast side up in a large roasting dish.
- Carefully prise the skin from the flesh.
- Put the onion, 25% of the butter and garlic and the herbs into the cavity of the chook.
- Put the remaining butter cubes and garlic into a small bowl, season well with salt and pepper, then very gently push it under the skin of the chicken, into the legs, wings and under the breast skin.
- Pour the melted butter, wine and water over the chicken and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pre heat the oven to 200C
- Cook for 50 minutes, basting once during that time.
- Without opening the oven door, turn off the heat and let rest for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potato, the pan juices and a green salad, and remember that divine food doesn't have to take a day to prepare!
If you like chicken liver, omit the onion, try chopping the herbs for the cavity and add 400g of their chicken livers. Delicious!