- 2 pork fillets, approx 800g
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
- Steamed Chinese broccoli, to serve
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, rice wine or mirin
- 3 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 4 green onions (shallots)
For the pork
Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, add pork fillets, coat well and refrigerate for one hour or up to overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 220?C (200?C fan-forced). Line a baking tray with foil and top with a rack. Place pork on rack and roast for 15 minutes. Baste with marinade. Lower temperature to 180?C (160?C fan-forced) and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the pork is firm to the touch and a dark golden colour, basting every 5 minutes with remaining marinade.( Any excess marinade can be heated for at least a minute and poured over the pork.) Remove pork from oven, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
For the rice
Place a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add oil and onion and cook until softened. Add the rice and stir well to toast. Add chicken stock, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 mins.
Check and if it seems a bit dry, add more stock or water. Cook another 5 mins or until rice is soft.
Stir through the green onions.